- Rhona Gemmell is famously known as Robbie Coltrane’s ex-wife. She is however a sculptress and a staunch lover of arts
- Robbie is about 20 years older than Rhona and he first met her in 1988 in a pub on Christmas Eve
- The estranged couple share 2 kids together. Alice McMillan and Spencer McMillan
Rhona Gemmell, Robbie Coltrane’s ex-wife is a sculptress who was married to the Scottish writer, actor, and comedian for about 4 years. The estranged couple tied the knot on the 11th of December 1999 but eventually divorced in 2003.
Although Rhona and Robbie are no longer together, they share two children namely Spencer and Alice. The reason for their separation has remained under the shadows but rumors making the rounds have indicated that Rhona made the move to call it to quit.
Who is Rhona Gemmell?
Most people make the spotlight because of the relationship they have with other famous people. This is the case with Robbie Coltrane’s ex-wife who is mostly known as an ex-celebrity wife. Even though not much is known about her, she has been identified to be an English sculptor.
Rhona Gemmel’s date of birth is still contemplated but according to our findings, she was probably born in 1970 and is likely 53 years old. We were able to predict her age because Rhona met her husband in 1988 and she was said to be 18 years old then.
Be that as it may, her ex-husband was born on the 30th of March 1950 in Rutherglen Scotland and he attended Glenalmond College and later the University of Edinburg. He went pro in 1978 and has so far starred in dozens of highly critically acclaimed movies.
While Gemmell has been identified to be someone passionate about arts, her ex-husband Robbie Coltrane is a seasoned entertainer who had global recognition as Rubeus Hagrid in the Harry Potter film series (2001-2011).
All we Know about Her Marriage and Divorce
As briefly mentioned earlier, Gemmell and Coltrane first met in 1988 in a pub on Christmas Eve and she was said to be 18 years old back then. The duo fell in love and dated for about 11 years before tying the knot in the year 1999.
Just when everyone would have thought the couple was beginning to settle as husband and wife, they decided to separate in 2003 and later got divorced the same year. Though the couple has remained tight-lipped concerning the main reason for their divorce, sources say it is likely associated with Robbie’s heavy drinking habits.
The movie star had previously said that in his younger self was a bottle of whisky a day or nothing. He also once admitted that he could drink a gallon of beer and not feel the least bit drunk.
Another thing that may have caused the couple’s divorce is the actor’s alleged promiscuity. His former girlfriend Robin Paine had complained that he was horribly unfaithful. He was however said to have become better when he met Rhona in the late 90s. But people say it’s pretty hard sometimes to get rid of bad habits.
Robbie Coltrane’s Divorce from Rhona Gemmell hit Him Hard
Rhona’s ex-husband was said to be a person that actually enjoys family life. Apart from his hobby of buying and restoring vintage cars, he used to cherish falling in love and having children.
The end of his marriage with Rhona became a serious blow for him. Sources say shortly after his marriage ended, he had to check into Priory clinic in Glasgow and he was described to be at ‘rock bottom’. This may be related to issues of heartbreak and his enduring health challenges.
Her Daughter with Robbie Coltrane is a Known Actress
View this post on Instagram
Alice McMillan is the estranged couple’s last child, born in 1998. She is an actress famous for the movie Hitman’s wife’s bodyguard (2021). She has also starred in films like Roadkill (2020) and The Souvenir (2019).
Similarly, Spencer McMillan, the oldest child of Rhona and Robbie was born in 1992. He does not seem to be so much involved with movies as his father and younger sister. He however has appeared as an additional crew/production assistant in the movie Hands that Bind (2021).
5 Quick Facts About Robbie Coltrane’s Ex-wife
1. She was 20 years younger than her ex-husband when she met him. Robbie Coltrane was said to be 38 years old in 1988 when he met his wife who was just 18.
2. Her ex-husband was together with Robin Paine for 15 years. Paine is also reported to be an artist who refused to marry Coltrane because of his infidelity.
3. She allegedly left her ex-husband’s £ 3 million worth home in a village 10 miles north of Glasgow along with their two young children and two dogs.
4. She is alleged to have formed a very close relationship with film director David Council. Sources say David became a shoulder to lie on following the difficulty she had adjusting to her breakup with Robbie.
5. Many people still believe she left her husband because of his huge weight which had previously ballooned to 26 stone through drinking. However, friends blamed the break-up on Coltrane’s hectic workload.
While Rhona Gemmell and Robbie Coltrane’s divorce endures, it has not been confirmed if any of them has moved on with another partner. Robbie has claimed that his wild days are behind him and he appears to have desired to have his family back if he could. This may however not be said of Rhona.