- Michael Eklund is an award-winning Canadian actor who left College to chase his dreams as an actor
- The Canadian Superstar got married twice and both ended up in divorce
- The Actor/producer is famous for his Antagonistic roles in movies
Michael Eklund is a Canadian actor and producer born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Throughout his career, he has played notable roles on film and TV as a villain. He has starred alongside actors like Halle Berry, Abigail Breslin, Paul Gross, Micheal Biehn, Dominic Monaghan, and many other actors.
Away from what is seen on camera, Ekmund has two failed marriages under his belt which leads to speculations about what led to this. His marriages to Erin MacGilvray and later Megan Bennet ended in divorce.
His Early Life and Family
As you would find, Michael Eklund’s exact date of birth is conflicting. However, we gathered that he was born in Saskatoon, the largest city in Saskatchewan. Remarkably, the superstar developed a love for movies from a very young age. As the story goes, he was about five years old when his mother took him to see a movie. That experience influenced his decision to also appear on screen.
Eklund then joined his school theatre and decided to study painting at Alberta College of Art, Calgary. However, he was unable to complete his studies as he dropped out of college and moved to Vancouver to pursue his now fresh acting career. Eklund also had an interest in Graphic Design but he forsook all his desire to pursue a career in acting.
The Rise of Michael Eklund as an Actor
After Eklund moved to Vancouver, he began to scout for roles as any upcoming actor would, and not too long after, he got roles to appear on Canadian and American Television series filmed in the area at that time.
Michael Eklund got his first acting role in the year 2000 as a police officer on an episode of “Dark Angel”, a Sci-fi Series. In 2002, He appeared in an episode of “Stargate SG-1” He later appeared in different television series including “Level 9”, “Hollywood off-Ramp”, “The Outer Limits”, “Sk8”, “The Lone Gunmen”, “Smallville”, “Living with the Dead”, “Supernatural” and so much more.
Eklund not only played for TV, but he began acting on film almost immediately after he started with TV. In 2000, Eklund made his debut in the film “The Other Side of Being” as the character Rhys. He went on to act in films such as “K-9 P.I” in 2002, “Stark Raving Mad” (2002), “House of Dead” (2003), “The Entrance” (2006), “In the Name of the King” (2007 )and so much more. His most recent film is “Antlers” (2021) and “The Farm” which is yet to be released.
Eklund has also Received Awards in Acting
Just like any other Actor who is good at what they do, Eklund has a couple of awards to his name. They include:
- Eerie Horror Fest 2016 – Best actor for his performance in “Errors of the Human Body”
- Leo Awards 2008 – Best Supporting Performance by a Male in a Feature Length Drama for his performance in “Walk All Over Me”
- Leo Awards 2011 – Best Guest Performance by a Male in a Dramatic Series for performance in “Fringe” for Episode “The Plateau”
- Fantastic Fest 2012 – Best Actor for his performance in “Errors of the Human Body”
- Leo Awards 2013 – Best Lead Performance by a Male in a Feature Length Drama for his performance “Errors of the Human Body”
- Leo Awards 2014 – Best Supporting Performance by a Male in a Motion Picture for his performance in “The Call”
- UBCP/ACTRA Awards (Vancouver) 2015 – Best Actor for his performance in “Eadweard”
- Alhambra Film Festival 2015 – Best Actor for his performance in “Eadweard”
- Leo Awards 2019 – Best Guest Performance by a Male in a Dramatic Series for his performance in “Val Helsing” for Episode “Crooked Steps”
The Saskatoon-raised Entertainer has Been Married and Divorced Twice
Michael first got married to Erin MacGilvray in 1993, their marriage hit the rocks in 2002.
There is not much information about the Actor’s first wife, their marriage, or why they got divorced but the couple did not have a child together.
There is also no information as to whether MacGilvray has gone ahead to start another family after the divorce from Eklund.
Eklund’s Second Marriage Lasted for 9 Years
After his first marriage hit the rocks, Eklund met Megan Bennett, a fellow movie star. the duo met in 2002 at a movie theatre where Bennett applied for a Job.
For Eklund, he considered it love at first sight, and interestingly they started dating 10 days later. The pair moved to Vancouver from Saskatchewan and started their lives together. They got married and 2003 and remained married for 9 years. They got a divorce in 2012. Like his first marriage, the cause of the second divorce led to so much speculation. As it is, none of them has come out to give a reason as to why they got divorced but it seems they are both living their best lives apart and not keeping grudges.
Notably, the former couple does not have any children together, yet, they still maintain an amicable relationship. In fact, the duo have been spotted together publicly like when they stepped out together for the premiere of “Mr. Right” during the 40th Toronto International Film Festival in Toronto in 2015.
Having moved on beyond the divorce, they both have successful careers. Bennett is notable for roles in movies like “Water Game” (2000), “The Final Experiment” (2005), and “Scenes from the Movies” (2011).