Chinese-born Tinglan Hong, Hugh Grant’s ex-girlfriend gained recognition because of her short-lived romance with the British actor who is known for works like Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994), Notting Hill (1999), and The Gentlemen (2019).
Numerous media outlets frequently misidentify Tinglan to be a Chinese restaurant hostess, an actress, or a karaoke singer. While these claims remain so misleading, here is what we discovered about the London-based mother of 2.
Life and Relationship Background of Tinglan Hong
According to available information, Tinglan Hong was born between 1978 – 1980 in Lishui, Zhejiang, China. This implies that she is around 44 years old at the moment. Other details about her education and career have remained elusive. However, it is reported that she moved to London in the year 2003 alongside her family in search of better life opportunities.
Moving on, she became a subject of media portrayal in 2011 when it was confirmed that she was making out with the award-winning British actor Hugh Grant. Consequently, in September 2011, she had a daughter with the actor and they named her Tabitha. More so, her daughter’s Chinese name is Jing Xi (驚喜), meaning “happy surprise.”
Meanwhile, the estranged couple’s relationship was not stable and was generally termed a “fleeting affair”. Hugh later moved on with another romantic affair with Swedish television producer Anna Eberstein in 2012. Within the same period, Hong and Grant reunited briefly and she gave birth to Grant’s third child, a son named Felix, in December 2012. Prior, to that, Anna had also delivered a baby for Hugh in september, the same year.
At present, Hong and Grant are no longer together as the British actor officially married Eberstein on May 25, 2018.
She is often Misreported to be a Receptionist at a Chinese Restaurant in London
The false claim that Tinglan works as a receptionist at a Chinese restaurant in London is not breaking news. Several false accounts claim that Hong immigrated to Britain in 2003 and began working as a receptionist in a Chinese restaurant. Alternatively, other sources claim Hong is a karaoke singer and an actress. However, Hugh Grant has emphatically refuted these claims in an exclusive interview with The Guardian. According to Hugh, the media only made up each of these tales in order to make quick money.
Where is Hong Right now?
Tinglan reportedly resides in a 1.2 million dollar house that Hugh bought for her after she gave birth to their first child. More so, it is said that Hugh registered the property in the name of his cousin to deter reporters from prying into his personal affairs. While these claims are popular, they have not yet been verified. This is in part because Hong makes every effort to stay out of the spotlight.
Her Ex-boyfriend says She Has been Badly Treated by the media
According to Hugh Grant, Tinglan has endured numerous forms of harassment, lies, and interference since the beginning of her pregnancy. He claimed that Tinglan, who was a single woman living alone, was routinely followed by a photographer who, on occasions, got perilously near to photographing her. She also had to cope with unwanted calls and texts from unknown people and phone numbers.
Hugh claimed that this was also the rationale behind his belief that it was best not to be present during the delivery of their first child. More so, he said he has encountered instances of hospital employees being bribed to leak material to the media far too frequently. Although he wasn’t afraid of people finding out he was the father, he was desperate to shield Tinglan and his child from a backlash in the media.
The British actor further said that Tinglan was aware of his worries and supported his choice. Tinglan’s ex also claimed that because of his strong desire to meet his daughter as soon as possible, even for a brief period of time, he ultimately decided to take a chance and go to the hospital the day after she gave birth. Unsurprisingly, his assistant soon began receiving frequent messages that said they were aware of the visit and the birth. Even the fabricated name Tinglan used to check into the hospital was known to them.
Other Unknown Facts about Tinglan Hong
1. Hong is not active on any social media platforms, and she has kept her personal life very private.
2. Because of her relationship with Hugh Grant, she has been the subject of extensive media investigation. To gain a scoop on her, several media outlets even traveled to China and contacted her ex-boyfriends. Unfortunately, the majority of the material about her early life and career that is readily available in the public domain is false.
3. Numerous honors have been bestowed upon her ex-partner, including an Honorary César, a British Academy Film Award, and a Golden Globe Award. In total, his films had made close to US$3 billion as of 2018.
4. In a police vice investigation near Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles, California, in 1995, her former partner was detained for having oral sex in public with Hollywood sex worker Divine Brown. Judge Robert J. Sandoval ordered him to pay a $1,180 fine, two years of summary probation, and completion of an AIDS education program after he entered a no-contest plea.
5. Since her breakup with Hugh, she has not been reported to be dating anybody else. At the moment, she is doing her best to fulfill her motherly roles to her 2 kids.