There are many types of sexualities that people have identified with. These sexual orientations encompass people of different sexes and genders being sexually and romantically attracted to themselves or others.
While some countries have legalized all the types of sexualities that there are, only heterosexuality is accepted in some parts of the world. This means that one can only legally be sexually involved with people of different sex and gender. While there are many types of sexualities, these are the 7 everyone should know about.
Types of Sexuality
A pansexual person is attracted to people of all genders or sex. The term which is sometimes known as omnisexuality is also referred to as gender blindness when it comes to choosing who to be romantically, sexually, and emotionally attracted to.
In summary, pansexuals can be attracted to men, women, and people who do not define their sexuality.
Pansexuality is sometimes confused with bisexuality. However, the two concepts are entirely different. Pansexuality is a coinage of the prefix pan- (meaning all or every). Bisexuality on the other hand is a romantic or sexual attraction to only a man or woman. This means that unlike in pansexuality where the concept of all comes in, bisexuality is only related to 2 sexualities.
In case you wonder if you are pansexual, self-identification is important. You will have to figure out if you are attracted to people regardless of their sex or gender.
Pansexuality has lasted centuries but it is more common in recent years. Some famous people who have identified as pansexuals are Amber Glenn, Sarah Paulson, Jena Malone, Nico Tortorella, and Janelle Monae.
This is a sexual orientation that is not strictly based on gender or sex. Instead, a demisexual is first emotionally connected to someone before they can be sexually attracted to them.
The origin of the word monosexual is from the English terms mono and sexual. Mono means one. Therefore, monosexuality means to be romantically, emotionally, and sexually attracted to only one gender or sex.
This means that a monosexual person can be heterosexual or homosexual. The term is also the opposite of asexuality, bisexuality, pansexuality, and other gender-neutral identities.
Monosexuality is one of the most common sexualities. It is a sexuality where one is attracted to only people of one sex or gender. A monosexual person can either identify as heterosexual or homosexual.
4. Heterosexuality and Homosexuality
Heterosexuality is a sexual orientation whereby a person is only sexually attracted to a person of the opposite sex or gender. Homosexuality is the opposite of heterosexuality and it means that a person is only sexually attracted to people of the same sex or gender.
Both heterosexuality and homosexuality are among the three main categories of sexual orientation.
People who are heterosexual are also called straight and it is the most famous and accepted sexuality. In fact, there are countries and societies in the world where the only legal sexual orientation is heterosexuality.
See Also: Deep Questions To Ask Your Boyfriend?
Bisexuals are people who are attracted to people of the same sex and gender and also people of the opposite sex and gender. This means that bisexuals have both heterosexual and homosexual attraction.
Some famous bisexual people are Lady Gaga, Megan Fox, Aaron Carter, Alex Diaz, Demi Lovato, and Billie Joe Armstrong.
Gray asexuality which is often known as Gray-A is a type of sexuality that falls between asexuality and allosexuality. In this type of sexuality, a person may have a strong connection and have sex with someone but the relationship is not based on sex.
Unlike many other sexualities, Gray-A is combined with several orientations. These include:
- Graysexual Alloromantic Person: this person is hardly sexually attracted to others.
- A gynesexual gray-biromantic person: They are mostly romantically attracted to only one gender and in most cases, the attraction is to women.
- A gray-pansexual aromantic person: This person is not always romantically attracted to anyone. Yet, they can be sexually attracted to people of different genders.
- An asexual grayromantic person: They are not sexually attracted to anyone but can be romantically attracted to others.
This type of sexuality is also known as ace-spec identity. It is a type of sexuality where people are sexually attracted to themselves rather than other people.
Many people are autosexual and some can also be autoromantic. This means that an autosexual person can also be romantically attracted to themselves.
However, some people are autosexual but are not into themselves romantically. Instead, they find other people romantically attractive rather than themselves. In this case, the other person that can be romantically attracted to can be a person of the same gender or a different sex and gender.
Other Types of Sexuality
- Asexuality: While this is new and its acceptance is low, asexuality is also a type of sexuality. Unlike many others, people of this sexual orientation are not attracted to other people or themselves sexually.
- Polysexuality: A person of this sexual orientation is attracted to people of multiple genders.
- Alloromantic: An alloromantic person is romantically attracted to people of different or the same sex.
- Androsexuality: Androsxeuality is a sexual orientation whereby a person is sexually attracted to masculinity. This means that an androsexual is attracted to people who have masculine qualities irrespective of their gender or sexual orientation.
- Bicurious (Bi-curious): A person of this sexual orientation is a self-identified heterosexual but is curious about having sexual relations with other people regardless of their sexual orientation.
- Bisexual: A bisexual person is sexually attracted to bother males and females.
- Gay: This term is used for a man who is sexually or romantically attracted to another man.
- Lesbian: is a term used to refer to a woman who is sexually or romantically attracted to a woman
- Gynesexual: This is a sexual orientation whereby a person is attracted to women. This is regardless of the sex or gender of the person (gynesexual).
- Multisexual: This can encompass terms such as bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, and queer. It is a sexual orientation where a person is attracted to more than one gender.
- Queer: This is an umbrella term for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender.
- Sexually fluidity: A person of this sexual orientation is not fixed to any sexual orientation. This means that a sexually fluid person is sexually attracted to people regardless of their sex or gender.
- Spectrasexuality: is a sexual orientation whereby a person is sexually attracted to multiple sexes or genders but not all.